Monday, January 24, 2022

Asemic art






My work is a hybrid of asemic writing. The word asemic means "having no specific semantic content”.  Traditional asemic writing does not use real words or phrases.  An asemic text may be "read" in a similar fashion regardless of the reader's natural language. My work sometime include words but the meaning is left for the reader to fill in and interpret. In addition to words I use pictograms, ideograms, glyphs and symbols. The works are meant to be read as a story much like a medieval rebus. I also make use of the unconscious by spontaneously drawing with ink with no pre planning. My work is influenced by esoteric codices such as the Mayan Codex and the writings of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell. I also have an interest in scriptorium the writing, copying and illuminating of manuscripts by monastic scribes.
"Things hidden in my head" Copyright 2013 © Ronald D. Isom, Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment