Friday, December 24, 2021

Miss Murray my first art teacher



I attended Belleville West High School from 1953 -1957.  It was the start of  an educational odyssey that ended at Belleville East High School in the spring of 1994. No one had more influence on me than my high school art teacher.  Miss Marjorie Murray was my mentor and started me on my journey.  She was a small “schoolmarm” looking women, soft spoken and intensely involved in her teaching. Her background was simple but her passion for teaching was a complex mix of small town attitude and an awareness of the world of art. She was an accomplished watercolorist and a scholarly advocate of design education. She finished her career at Belleville Area College. She established the college art department and spent many hours developing the program.  When I returned to Belleville to teach she welcomed me and became my biggest fan. She help me get hired as a art teacher and  a night school instructor at  Belleville Junior College. She passed away quietly a few years ago. No fanfare and just a faded memory to some. She lives in my soul and is forever responsible for my art teaching career. Thank you Miss Murray.


No comments:

Post a Comment